Sunday, November 29, 2009

My Dzi bead

I admit that I am an avid collector. As you well know, I love jewellery. I also admit that I have a weakness for beads. Old ones. A couple of years ago I came across this one bead that I adored. It was meant to be and, in good fortune, it became mine. It's an old Dzi bead. I have taken some photos to show its beauty:

It has two "eyes" and one other shape. The lady who passed it on to me, a lovely Tibetan woman, told me the shape is reminiscent of a dragon. She also mentioned that I should always wear it next to my skin. I try to remember that. I strung it as a necklace with Afghan Jade and sterling beads. It's a simple design and I may change it later. For now, it's functional and it shows off the bead beautifully.

Now I need someone to tell me what it means. The lady told me it was a very special bead, but she never elaborated. So now, I am on a mission to find out!
Let me know if you can educate me. :)
Good night!



2 comments:

  1. I just heard from the gentleman who owns this blog:

    http://dzibeads.blogspot.com/

    And he said: "This is a new Chinese or Taiwanese dZi bead and is no more than 10 years old. I have a bead very similar to this. I purchased mine from a Tibetan trader in India a couple of years ago. It is a very nice bead."

    Thank you, James.

    If anyone else has information about the meaning of the design, I'd love to hear from you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is call Mani Jewel dzi bead.

    Dzi with Mani-Jewel Motif A magical jewel, which manifests whatever one’s wishes for.

    You can go to http://dzicrystal.com/content/view/100/39/lang,english/
    to check out the meaning.

    ReplyDelete